Thursday, November 25, 2010

Next Destination: India!

Dear friends and family,

Recently I have been convicted by Romans 10:13-15.” For ‘everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, ‘How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!’”

God has graciously given me salvation and I want to join in furthering His kingdom!

I have worked for Crossings Ministries for 2 summers now, and have spent this semester working for them as well. Crossings is a Christian camp in Kentucky for students in middle school and high school. During this summer, close to 8,000 students spent a week with Crossings and heard God’s truth through camp pastors, bible study leaders, their own youth leaders, and God’s Word.

Crossings also challenged students every week to give money to support missions, specifically a ministry in India. I spent the summer watching students give sacrificially and prayed with churches before they turned in their donations. I now have the amazing opportunity to serve with the ministry Crossings is supporting!

I will be in India from January until May 2011 seeking to help share the Gospel with families. I will be going with another girl my age and we will be joining full time missionaries. There are 2 different ministries we will be working with. One is a local slum ministry that is helping to share the Gospel. They do this primarily through a feeding program that serves over 200 children daily! It also offers a safe place for kids to come after they get out of school. We will be working with hopes of entering into a deeper mentoring relationship with the kids we feed and on improving their conversational English. The best opportunity for these kids to leave the slum is to have an adequate education and to learn English.

The other ministry we will be visiting is a home for girls. In India the main religion is Hinduism. Part of this religion is that they believe when they die, they are born again into another body. So death does not hold much permanence for them. If a couple gives birth to a baby girl, they are responsible to be able to pay for her wedding and dowry, a wedding gift. If they are not capable of doing so they and their daughter will be publicly shamed. So it is not uncommon for a couple to decide to kill their baby girl rather than face public shame. The ministry I will serve with is called Sandra’s home. This home takes in baby girls as an option for couples who can’t afford their baby or want to avoid public shame. The home has somewhere around 14 children right now!

I would love to have as many people as possible join me as I begin this new journey. I would ask for prayer for the boldness of my team and I to preach the Good News any chance we get. I ask for prayer for the hearts of the people of India, that they would hear truth and believe it so they may be united with their Savior. Pray that they would turn from their idols and worship the one true God. Financially you can also support me. I need to raise $2900 in order to go. If you are interested in giving, I have several options for you. You can go to my Paypal account and send money to my email, alfletch@ameritech.net. You can also send a check made out to Allison Fletcher to the address

3N 124 Churchill Ct

West Chicago, IL

I will be keeping this blog while I am there -allisonfletcher.blogspot.com . I will post pictures, stories, and updates on what is going on in India once I get there. Here are some videos to watch now!

http://vimeo.com/15276970

http://vimeo.com/15277184

Like I said, I would love to share this experience with as many people as possible so if there is another way you would like me to communicate to you updates, just let me know.

God bless you!,

Allison Fletcher

No comments: